Monday, September 24, 2012

A Media Fast Sunday

My media fast was actually pretty successful, as far as it went. I didn't even try to limit my communication via cellphones (I had a lot of visiting teaching coordinating to do) or forgo watching the broadcast of the dedication of the Brigham City Temple (che, like that was gonna happen). I also did take a look at something my roommate was working on online. But I didn't get on my own computer at all on Sunday, nor did I watch any television, or movies, or listen to any music outside of the broadcast.

I spent much of the day catching up on some readings for my religion class.

What did I learn from all of this? Well firstly, I seriously need to keep up better in my readings. It took a long time to catch up. Secondly, I spend far too much time online goofing off. There are a lot of great and legitimate reasons to get online, and if my parents had called and wanted to webchat I would have been online within minutes, but a lot what I do online is not the really the best use of time. I had a great day yesterday, and I was probably more in tune with the Spirit than I've been for many Sundays. So I guess I just have to remember moderation in all things and that it's important to spend my time wisely doing the best and most important thing for that moment.

I can't think of any better way to sum up my thoughts on the experiment, than to link to President Uchtdorf's talk What Matters Most. In fact, I think that talk is crucial in understanding the frenzied pace of life in our digital world, and our place  in it as Latter-Day Saints.

Psalm 46:10 Be still and know that I am God.

No comments:

Post a Comment