Saturday, September 1, 2012

Good Morning. Welcome to my mind.

Hello, everyone. This is my new blog. I set it up as a place to discuss what I find and think about Digital Culture this semester. I'm not sure what exactly I'll be saying, but there's a chance it might be interesting and it may even prove useful to someone.

I've been thinking these past few days about some of the summaries for the books Prof. Burton recommended for our class this semester. Several of the summaries mention how the machine is part of so many of our metaphors to understanding ourselves and our society. It was an interesting idea, and the more I think about it, the more I've come to the conclusion that a personal webpage, like a blog, or the process of browsing a one is actually a pretty good metaphor for how my thought process works.

I might be thinking along in a fairly straight-forward way, one word following the next like this and then suddenly I come across one of those interesting words or images that I almost unthinkingly "click" on and then suddenly I'm on an entirely different page. The connection between the two things might not be obvious, might not make sense to someone who isn't me, and almost always is not the sort of progression of ideas that is easily transformed into a coherent argument. It is also always a work in progress. There is no conclusion to my thoughts, even if I have made a decision on what I believe and then go onto some other subject, my thoughts keep on going.

But for now, I've reached a stopping place. This is the end of my post for today, but you'll be hearing more from me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment